This banana loaf cake recipe is very simple to put together and can provide a great recovery snack after long endurance workouts.
The recipe is packed full of simple carbohydrates so can replenish energy expended during long periods of strenuous exercise. This would be perfect to pack with you on long hikes, cycle rides and even after marathon training.
- 140g Butter
- 140g Caster sugar
- 140g Self-raising flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 very ripe bananas
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c (160c fan assisted ovens) or gas mark 4.
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl and slowly add the sugar, creaming using a spatula until light and fluffy. The mixture should clump together with a consistency of mashed potato.
- Slowly fold in the beaten eggs and sieved flour. Finally added the vanilla essence, and stir.
- Add in the mashed banana and fold into the mixture.
- Pour the batter into a lined/greased loaf tin. A useful tip is to add clothes pegs to the outside of the tin to hold the greaseproof paper in place. Remember to remove these before putting in the oven.
- Bake the loaf for around 30-40 minutes. The way to tell if the cake is ready is to insert a sharp knife into the the centre of the cake. If the knife comes out clean, with no mixture on then it's ready.
- Remove from tin and cool on a wire rack. Slice and serve!
Let us know in the comments below how your loaves turned out. Remember to follow us on Instagram for more recipe ideas and inspiration.